Information on the Resource Library page is organized as a timeline that includes the following phases: Reclaim, Reframe, Redesign, and Research & Development. While the Reclaim, Reframe, and Redesign phases tend to occur in a sequence, Research & Development is a continual process that starts at the point of reclaiming and continues through the evolution of the redesign.
Please see the sections below for a description of each phase and lists of relevant links.
- ReclaimReclaim (Description):This section provides information about the history and motivation behind CPED and efforts to distinguish the EdD from the PhD.
- ReframeReframe (Description):This section focuses on the definitions and principles developed by CPED, which provide a common language as an institution begins to reframe and redefine the education doctorate.
- Definition of the Education Doctorate
We, the members of CPED, believe:
“The professional doctorate in education prepares educators for the application of appropriate and specific practices, the generation of new knowledge, and for the stewardship of the profession.”
With this understanding, we have identified the following working principles and design concepts that provide the architecture for program design and focus a research and development agenda to test, refine, and validate principles for the professional doctorate in education.
- RedesignRedesign (Description):This section provides resources for institutions that are engaged in the redesign process and are looking for “how to” information, as well as examples of work done at other institutions.
- How to: Operationalize CPED Principles
- How to: Be a Change Agent (faculty)
- How to: Frame a Professional Practice Doctorate Program
- SAMPLES: Case Studies
- SAMPLES: Course Syllabi
- SAMPLES: Dissertation Guidelines, Student Dissertations, and other Dissertation Resources
- SAMPLES: Program Timeline
- Suggested Books for Ed.D. Programs
- Consortium Members Page
- Convening Resources: Building CPED Recognition & Improving our DIP designs (October 2013 Convening)
- Research & DevelopmentResearch & Development (Description):This section includes any data that CPED or that members of CPED have gathered, including formal research studies as well as surveys from convenings. Research and Development spans the entire time of CPED and includes early work as well as current projects.
- Emerging Literature from members of the CPED Consortium
- Twenty-eight CPED member institutions provided survey information about key characteristics of their professional practice preparation programs in Education. Characteristics of CPED Influenced Ed.D. Programs (PDF). Further details about CPED Influenced Ed.D. Programs were provided by forty-one member institutions.
- Narrative Report to the Spencer Foundation (2009): Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate: Creating Rubrics for the Assessment of EdD Candidates (Grant # 200900057). Reports on the outcomes a year-long study to define institutional and graduate outcomes of CPED-influenced Ed.D. programs.
- Final Report CPED Phase I 2007-2010: This report documents the process and outcomes of the first phase of the CPED Initiative.